Frequently Asked Questions
- WHEN IS THE NEXT TRIP? Stay tuned for our 2021 trip schedule! In the meantime, if you have interest in scheduling a trip for your group at a specific time, use the orange "Contact Us" box to get in touch!
- WHERE WILL I STAY DURING THE TRIP? Our on-site hostel in Santa Ana, Peten, Guatemala, includes a bunkroom and shared bedrooms, American-style toilets and showers, a fully-functional kitchen, and a comfortable common area. (Yes, we have electricity and running water!)
- WHAT WILL I EAT? Our kitchen will be stocked with snacks and familiar breakfast items (cereal, toast, eggs, etc.) for your use. Lunch and dinner will be prepared for the group by our Guatemalan cook. Please contact us directly with specific questions about special dietary needs.
- IS THE WATER SAFE TO DRINK? We have a top-of-the-line industrial water filter on site and will keep the kitchen stocked with clean, safe, drinking water from this filter. (Your trip leader will show you this water during site orientation.) Bottled water is also available for purchase at local stores. We do not recommend drinking water straight from the tap.
- WHAT WILL WE DO ON THE TRIP? Generally speaking, trip members will assist with SewHope's projects in the areas of education, health care, agriculture, public health, and grounds maintenance. Specific activities are tailored to the abilities and interests of the particular group. (Prior to your trip, your trip leader will meet with your group to discuss options and develop a detailed itinerary.)
- DO I NEED TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK SPANISH? No. A Spanish-English translator will be provided to assist with the language barrier as needed. However, we do find that trip participants who make an effort to learn Spanish (even just a few basics) feel more connected to the staff and community. Our staff is very patient with beginning Spanish speakers!
- I'M A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. WILL I BE ABLE TO SEE PATIENTS AT YOUR CLINIC? It depends. Please use the contact form in the orange sidebar to inform us of your interest and credentials.
- HOW MUCH DOES A TRIP COST? Costs are dependent on the length of trip and activities planned.